Heidegger’s Being and Time – Simon Critchley
Spring Semester 2015, Tuesdays 8-10 p.m. Room A407, 66 West 12th St.
1. Feb 3 – (i) Introduction – reading Heidegger forwards or backwards – Schürmann’s approach to Being and Time and my own – the reason why I am skipping the Introduction to SuZ;
(ii) SuZ paras. 9-13: the nature of an analytic of Dasein – Being-in-the-world as the basic state of Dasein – Heidegger’s critique of traditional epistemology.
3. Feb 17 – SuZ paras. 19-24: the contrast between Heidegger’s understanding ofthe world and that of Descartes – the Cartesian understanding of space, theexistential concept of space and the spatiality of Dasein.
4. Feb 24 – SuZ paras. 25-27: Heidegger’s conception of being-with as essential to Dasein – Heidegger’s position vis-à-vis theories of intersubjectivity (Hegel, Habermas, Levinas) – the ‘They’, inauthentic being-with, and Heidegger’s critique of modernity.
5. Mar 3 – SuZ paras. 28-34: the concept of being-in – the existentials: state-of-mind, understanding and discourse – the nature of interpretation, the apophantic and hermeneutic ‘as’ – the key concept of Dasein as ‘thrown projection’ and the question as to why it is described as an enigma.
6. Mar 10 – SuZ paras 35-38: inauthentic being-in: the concept of idle talk, ambiguity and curiosity – the nature of falling and its relation to thrownness.
7. Mar 17 – SuZ paras. 39-42: the notion of moods and basic moods -anxiety as the basic mood of Dasein – the meaning of care as the being of Dasein – explanation of the tripartite structure of care as ‘thrown-projective-being-already-in-the-world’.
8. Mar 24 – SuZ para.43-44: Heidegger’s critique of two pseudo-problems in philosophy: the question of the reality of the external world and the question of truth – (i) Heidegger’s position in the realism/anti-realism/idealism debates – question: is Heidegger a realist, an idealist, or something completely different? (ii) Heidegger’s critique of the correspondence theory of truth and his account of truth as disclosure – Heidegger’s understanding of the Greek concept of truth as aletheia – Tugendhat’s critique of Heidegger on truth – the trajectory of truth in Heidegger’s later work.
9. Mar 31 , Spring break, no class.
10. April 7- SuZ 45-53: transition to Division II, the problems of authenticity and totality – the death-analysis and the establishment of the full existential conception of death – critique of Heidegger’s distinction of inauthentic and authentic modes of death, dying and finitude.
11. April 14 – SuZ 54-60: the call of conscience as the ontic attestation of the ontological conception of being-towards-death – understanding the appeal and the very peculiar nature of being-guilty in Heidegger – critique of conscience as the authentic potentiality-for-being – the concepts of resoluteness and situation.
12. April 21 – SuZ 61-66: anticipatory resoluteness – repetition – the nature of the hermeneutic circle – authentic care as self-constancy and the problem of the subject in SuZ – the structure of ecstatic temporality, the nature of finitude in Heidegger.
13. April 28- SuZ 67-71: the repetition of the analytic of everydayness from the perspective of temporality – the temporality of understanding, state-of-mind, falling and discourse – temporality and the problem of the transcendence of the world – the temporality of spatiality and everydayness.
14. May 5 – SuZ 72-77: the relation of temporality as the finitude of Dasein’s being to the problem of historicity – Dasein’s historicity and the vulgar concept of history – the basic constitution of historicity and the problem of fate and destiny – historicity and Heidegger’s political commitment to National Socialism – historicity and ‘historiology’ (Dilthey and Yorck).
15. TBA – SuZ 78-83: the relation of temporality as primordial time to the vulgar concept of time – critique of ‘now-time’ or clock time and the nature of ‘time-reckoning’ – the time of nature – comparison between Dasein’s temporality with Hegel’s conception of time – the aporia at the end of Being and Time – is Being and Time a failure and does that matter?